Miami-Area Collapsed Condo Crews Keep Looking for Survivors on Day 7

SURFSIDE, Fla.—Rescue crews faced a grueling seventh day of searching for survivors in a Miami-area condo collapse, with the death toll standing at 16 and 147 people unaccounted for.

Thirty-seven survivors were pulled from the site in the early hours after the collapse on June 24, but none have been rescued in the days since.

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said search-and-rescue workers found four bodies Tuesday night in the rubble of Champlain Towers South. Their next of kin hadn’t yet been identified, she said in a news conference.

Rescue workers in gloves, helmets and respirator masks worked in a grid, sifting through debris with gloved hands and placing it in buckets. A stream of dump trucks covered with tarps carried loads of debris to be photographed and stored; more than 3 million pounds has been collected so far, officials said.

Intermittent heavy rain complicated the work. An acrid, burning smell lingered in the air for blocks around the site.

Source: WSJ – US News

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Related Post

NEWSLETTER

Sign up for Breaking News, Newsletter, Blog Posts and Special Deals from 1631 Digital and their media/marketing partners.

Subscribers agree to be contacted from 1631 Digital News and/or their media/marketing partners for breaking news alerts, newsletters and special media marketing offers via email, mail and/or texting communication.