Brexit: As an EU sailor, what do I need to do if cruising to the UK?

Yachting Monthly experts help you unravel what the new regulations post-Brexit mean for UK and EU sailors

We invited sailors from the UK and the EU to submit their questions about sailing to Europe and the UK following the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December 2020.

Question: As an EU sailor, what do I need to do if cruising to the UK?

Brexit is also affecting EU sailors wishing to cruise in the UK. Some clarification of our position would be appreciated.

Will we have to clear in or out?  How will this work in practice?

Will there be designated ports of entry and exit?

Will we need to get our passports stamped?

I remember reading somewhere that there will be a dedicated app. Is this true? When will the app be available?

Wim Vandenbossche


A spokesperson for the Home Office responded: ‘All pleasure craft arriving from outside of the UK including the Channel Islands are required to telephone the National Yachtline (0300 123 2012) to report their arrival for customs purposes.

Any non-UK or Irish national (including all EU nationals unless they have certain protected rights under the transition agreement) who require immigration permission to enter the UK must also contact Border Force to obtain that.

Contact details for Border Force offices have been circulated to all ports and marinas.

Continues below…

After Brexit, UK cruisers will experience limitations when cruising in Europe

Keeping a boat in Europe has offered easy adventure and warmer climates, but as regulations after Brexit begin to take…

Sailors arriving from the UK can now enter France through any port including Fécamp

Following Brexit, sailors arriving in France from the UK were only allowed to enter through a Port of Entry. Now…

A boat entering Fowey in Cornwall

A new online reporting system for all sailors leaving and returning to the UK should go live later this year

Many UK registered boats in Spain will retain their EU VAT status if they were in the country at the time of Brexit

Marine organisations in the UK and EU have come together to release guidance on the EU VAT status of second…

There are no plans to introduce designated ports of entry/exit for pleasure craft.

‘Most EU nationals will be granted permission to enter via email or over the telephone.

In some circumstances Border Force officers may visit the vessel and conduct an examination of arriving foreign nationals which may include endorsing passports.

‘A digital solution (app) to enable online reporting is in development.’

Enjoyed reading As an EU sailor, what do I need to do if cruising to the UK?

A subscription to Yachting Monthly magazine costs around 40% less than the cover price.

Print and digital editions are available through Magazines Direct – where you can also find the latest deals.

YM is packed with information to help you get the most from your time on the water.

  • Take your seamanship to the next level with tips, advice and skills from our experts
  • Impartial in-depth reviews of the latest yachts and equipment
  • Cruising guides to help you reach those dream destinations

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Source: Yachting Monthly

Related Post


Sign up for Breaking News, Newsletter, Blog Posts and Special Deals from 1631 Digital and their media/marketing partners.

Subscribers agree to be contacted from 1631 Digital News and/or their media/marketing partners for breaking news alerts, newsletters and special media marketing offers via email, mail and/or texting communication.